I finally finished and presented my thesis. I'm releasing the work under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution – Noncommercial – Share Alike Works 3.0 license.
This dissertation will cover the basics of video encoding and distribution over TCP/IP, focusing on Open Source technologies and the future prospects of podcasting and video fruition in general. Particular attention will be given to the state of the art technology (MPEG-4 Part 10 specifications) and the new possibilities of HTML5 and the integration of the patent-free video codec Ogg Theora.
Federico Pistono is social entrepreneur, computer scientist, award-winning journalist, author, scientific educator, activist, and public speaker. He holds a BSc in Computer Science from the University of Verona, and in 2012 he graduated from Singularity University, NASA Ames Research Park.
His research has been utilized by major economic institutions, universities, and think tanks, such as the Society for Human Resource Management in collaboration with The Economist Intelligence Unit, and the Future of Jobs Summit in California.
He has ten years of professional experience in a variety of difference fields—IT Management, System Administration with Unix and Linux systems, Web Development, Product Management, UX design, Human Machine Interaction, Journalism and Science Reporting, Editing, Screenwriting, and Directing.
He's Founder and CEO of Konoz, a website where one can learn anything for free and support their favorite YouTube creators. He's author of the Amazon best-selling book "Robots Will Steal Your Job, But That's OK: How to Survive the Economic Collapse and be Happy" and the Sci-Fi Novel "A Tale of Two Futures".
Federico has extensive experience with grassroots activism since the age of 19, having founded and coordinated social movements and non-profits to promote sustainability around the world. He's member of the Science Advisory Board of TEDxBologna, Founder and Honorary President of "Association Sustainable Society", Founder of TEDxVerona, Founder of Axelera, and Founder of The Zeitgeist Movement (TZM) Italy — TZM has half a million activists in more than 100 countries.
He routinely tours around the world, lecturing on exponential technologies at Fortune 500 companies, conferences, universities, and symposia; such as Qualcomm, Telenor, the University of San Paolo, the University of Oslo, the International Education and Resource Network Summit, TEDxVienna, and Singularity University. He was interviewed by several newspapers, radios, TVs, and magazines, among which are The Huffington Post, The Wall Street Journal, Folha de S. Paulo, Italian National TV; while he wrote for the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies, The Work Foundation, Il Corriere della Sera, and Forbes Magazine.
Honors and Awards
- 2014: Awarded $40,000 prize for entrepreneurship by the Chilean government and acceptance into the program Start Up Chile
- 2012: Awarded the Young Italian Knights Award for his outstanding achievements and Social Impact
- 2012: Awarded Full Scholarship for the Graduate Study Program at Singularity University, NASA Ames Search Park, Silicon Valley.
- 2009: Winner of the International Journalism Competition on Climate Change for the COP15, European Journalism Centre.
- 2007: Winner of the "Linux-Mega-Quiz" at LinuxTag, 2007.
- 2004: Awarded Full Scholarship for the UWC (United World Colleges) Baccalaureate Programme
Articles I wrote
- Umano - How A Nerdy Kid From Nowhere Self-published A Best-seller And Got Noticed By Google CEO Larry Page And The Wall Street Journal, Narrated by Larry Rice (November 10, 2014)
- CNBC - Get ready, robots are going to steal your job (June 10, 2014)
- Corriere Innovazione (Italian), part of "Corriere della Sera", largest newspaper in Italy. (February 2014 edition)
- Forbes and The Huffington Post - Machines Will Outsmart Humans. We Better Be Ready (April 12, 2013)
- IEET Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies and io9.com - Robots will steal your job, but that’s okay: How to Survive the Coming Economic Collapse (Feb 10, 2012)
Citations on Papers and Publications
- R. Joseph, Educating for an Abundant Future (2014), State University of New York College at Cortland.
- Marques, Nuno and Ildefonso, Tiago,Notas Leitura / Recensão Crítica, Revista de Ciências da Computação, (2013), nº8.
- Society for Human Resource Management, The Changing Nature of Work and the Worker, 2013.
- Miller, Ben and Atkinson, Robert D., Are Robots Taking Our Jobs, or Making Them?, (2013), The Information technology and Innovation Foundation
- European Commission - Open Education 2030 Visionary Papers (April 2013)
- Alissa Shethar and Joan I. Heller Heller Research Associates, Developing Rigorous Education in the Arts to Motivate Students (DREAMS): Improving Academic Literacy in the Arts (May 5, 2010)
- Paul Connett, Zero Waste: A Key Move towards a Sustainable Society (April 2007)
Articles about me and interviews
- Prisma (German) - Roboter sind die neuen Ausländer (Robots are the new Aliens), November 10, 2014
- The Speaker “In the End, Evidence Is All That Matters” – Pistono on “Free Money”, November 10, 2014
- Huffington Post (Italian) I robot ci ruberanno il lavoro?
- Cosmos Magazine Learning to live with robots October 2014
- Wired (Italian) Singularity University, perché ci si va e che cosa si porta a casa, October 2014
- Lettera43 (Italian) Movimento 5 stelle, Federico Pistono: il metodo è il messaggio (Five Star Movement: the method is the message) March 11, 2014
- Focus Finance (Video, DE) Kühne Zukunftsvision Müssen wir bald nur noch 10 Stunden pro Woche arbeiten? (Bold vision for the future Must we soon only work 10 hours a week?)
- La Nuova Provincia (Italian) Un biellese nella casa dei Nobel (A Biellese in the house of Nobels)
- RadioNova (Norwegian) Make your job. The robots come.
- QuinternaLab (Italian) Robot al posto di uomini
- Spoke at 657 Oslo, a co-working space in downtown Oslo, Norway.
- Spoke at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences Oslo, Norway.
- Long interview in 6 parts with Tom's Hardware (Italian) "I robot ci ruberanno il lavoro ma ci ridaranno la vita" (Robots Will Steal Your Job, But Also Give Your Life Back).
- Review of “Robots Will Steal Your Jobs, But That's OK” at the Sturbridge Times.
- Interview with Computerworld (Dutch) Esplori: all video education in any language
- Interview with Computerworld (Dutch) "The Pitfalls of Innovation"
- TG1 (Italian National TV) TEDxTransmedia, ecco il manifesto etico dei media
- Wired (Italian) TEDxTransmedia 2013, quattro italiani a Roma per l'etica dei nuovi media
- Webwereld (Dutch) "Innovation is between your ears' (video)
- Qatar Foundation (English) "ROTA Helps Qatar Take The Lead In Education' (Aug 20, 2013)
- El Universal Interview (Spanish) "Los robots robarán tu empleo, pero está bien"
- VINT (Vision, Inspiration, Navigation, Technology) - Vint Symposium. @federicopistono: Exponential Innovation (June 14, 2013)
- The Socialist Party of Great Britain - Will Robots Cause Capitalism to Collapse? (June 1, 2013)
- Jornal do Comércio (Portuguese) - Você vai perder seu emprego (May 20, 2013)
- Tudo+ (Portuguese, Video) - Interview on Brazilian TV Tudo+ (May 15, 2013)
- Free Software Association - Interview with Free Software Association Brazil (May 15, 2013)
- GLOBAL BITS (Portuguese) - Homens terão que reprogramar pensamento para competir com robôs (May 15, 2013)
- Giornalettismo (Italian) - M5S, l’attivista che chiede democrazia a Grillo (March 4, 2013)
- Republic+Queen (Italian) - Zeitgeist, il cambiamento utopico che spinge a fare (May 16, 2013)
- Huffington Post (Italian) - Quirinarie: "l'hackeraggio come uno schiacciasassi". Lo staff M5S e la Dnv Business Assurance spiegano cosa è successo (Apr 12, 2013)
- Giornalettissimo (Italian) - Movimento 5 Stelle, le dieci gaffe del dopo-voto (March 26, 2013)
- Barbadillo (Italian) - Il caso. Federico Pistono, attivista grillino: “Nessuna democrazia partecipata nel M5S” (March 6, 2013)
- Huffington Post (Italian) - Movimento 5 Stelle, blog e meetup non bastano più. Un videoappello e un documento dei grillini Pistono e Barillari agitano il M5S (March 6, 2013)
- C-Realm Drive, Flow & Purpose (video podcast) (March 6, 2013)
- Linkiesta (Italian) - M5S, a livello nazionale manca ancora la democrazia (March 5, 2013)
- Debate with the Socialist Party of Great Britain (Video)Robots Will Steal Your Jobs - Is that OK? (Apr 5, 2013)
- Huffington Post (Video) - A Future Of Unemployment (Jan 28, 2013)
- Wall Street Journal (Video) - X Prize Chairman: Will Robots Do Jobs of the Future? (Jan 15, 2013)
- The Zeitgeist Movement - Federico Pistono at TZM Interviews (Jan 25, 2013)
- Public Policy (Italian) - M5s, l'attivista Federico Pistono, "Grillo risponde solo a chi lo insulta" (Dec 21, 2012)
- GSP--人生的一个单点 (Chinese Blog, English interview) - Inteview with Liang Yiqing (Dec 21, 2012)
- Il Fatto Quotidiano (Italian) - ‘Beppe, fai un bel respiro e ascolta i consigli dei tuoi amici’ (Dec 15, 2012)
- Quotidiano Piemonte (Italian) - Federico Pistono, fondatore dei Grilli Biellesi, propone a Beppe Grillo le ricette per salvare il Movimento 5 Stelle (Dec 13, 2012)
- 33rd Square - Federico Pistono Shares Why It Is OK For Robots To Steal Your Job (Dec 12, 2012)
- Piero Scaruffi (Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies) - (Dec 7, 2012)
- Folha de S. Paulo (Portuguese) - 'Não vamos conseguir manter o ritmo das máquinas', diz autor (Nov 25, 2012)
- Brasil Economico (Portuguese) - O admirável mundo novo da tecnologia não está longe (Nov 19, 2012)
- Startupi (Portuguese, Video) - Robôs vão roubar seu emprego, mas tudo bem: entrevista com jovem que analisa alternativas a um colapso econômico (Nov 13, 2012)
- Der Mensch, das faszinierende Wesen (German) - Nachlese: Roboter werden Deinen Job vernichten – Federico Pistono (Nov 9, 2012)
- Perestroika - Interview (Nov 14, 2012)
- ChangeTV (Video) - A different way of living (Nov 4, 2012)
- Singularity Hub - Interview: Federico Pistono, Author Of “robots Will Steal Your Job But That’s Ok” (Aug 14, 2012)
- Singularity Weblog - Federico Pistono on Singularity 1 on 1: Robots Will Steal Your Job, But That’s OK! (June 12, 2012)
- Transparency Revolution - Some People Think I'm Crazy for Believing This... (Feb 13, 2012)
- Singularity Hub - Meet The Author Of “Robots Will Steal Your Job, But That’s OK” (Feb 10, 2012)
- IEET - Robots will steal your job, but that’s OK: how to survive the economic collapse and be happy (Feb 10, 2012)
- GazetaOnline (Albanese) - Intervistë me Federik Pistono – koordinator i Lëvizjes Zeitgeist Italia, versione italiana (Feb 16, 2011)
- Radio Wave International (Italian) - Intervista con Federico Pistono (Nov 27, 2010)
- Movimiento Zeitgeist España (Spanish) - Entrevista con Federico Pistono, coordinator chapter Italia del Movimiento Zeitgeist y autor de la conferencia "Cos'è il Movimento Zeitgeist?" (May, 2011)
- Beppe Grillo (Italian) - Copenhagen, cronaca di un accordo fallito (Dec 24, 2009)
- La Nuova Provincia di Biella - Federico Pistono tra gli 82 blogger in sfida a Copenhagen (Aug 27, 2009)
My life - an infographic
Tired of boring text and resumes? Try this infographic.
Biography, Work and Education
Federico Pistono is a scientific educator, social activist, computer scientist, blogger, media expert, and aspiring filmmaker. In 2002, at age 16, he won a scholarship to UWCAD International College, where he received an education aimed on the sharing of ideas amongst different cultures, living away from home along with 200 students from 82 countries.
In 2007 he founded the "Grilli biellesi", a non-profit volunteer association with civic engagement and the protection of the rights of citizens whose topics of interest are energy, information, waste, connectivity and protection of water as a right to life.
From 2008 to 2012 he worked in a media company in Verona, as Project Manager, Media Strategist, Developer, Screenwriter, and Director, focusing on new media and the role of technology in the society.
In 2009 he received his degree in computer science from the University of Verona, Department of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences, with a thesis on "Open Source Implementations of Encoding Algorithms for Video Distribution in the HTML5 Era”.
In 2009 he also won an international competition for blogging and journalism organized by the European Centre for Journalism and was sent to the COP15 in Copenhagen to cover the events on the conference on climate.
On May 2009, he founded The Zeitgeist Movement Italy, a global Sustainability Advocacy Organization which conducts community based activism and awareness actions through a network of Global/Regional Chapters, Project Teams, Annual Events, Media and Charity Work to promote a shift towards a Resource Based Economic model, where the solutions arrived at and promoted are in the interest to help everyone on the planet Earth, not a select group. He held the position of national coordinator and spokesperson for about three years -- until January 2012.
On October 2011 he started writing his first book, "Robots will steal your job, but that's OK: how to survive the economic collapse and be happy "
In 2012 he won a scholarship for the Graduate Studies Program at Singularity University, NASA Ames Research Center, Silicon Valley. Singularity University is a unique interdisciplinary, international and intercultural experience, whose aim is to assemble, educate and inspire a cadre of leaders who strive to understand and facilitate the development of exponentially advancing technologies and apply, focus and guide these tools to address humanity’s grand challenges.